Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Reflections

Merry Christmas, ladies of MOPS!  I'm taking a break from laundry, dishes, and vacuuming.  It's clean and quiet here.  The calm before the storm.  I thoroughly enjoyed our speaker on the true meaning of Christmas, and I've tried to focus on Jesus' birthday more that Santa.  I took my 2 year old boy to the Walk through Bethlehem at Shirley Hills Baptist.  It was much more than I bargained for!  We miraculously survived the two hour wait in the sanctuary and made our way through the recreated town.  It was amazing!  Our 'tour guide' took us through a maze of merchants' stalls in which biblical themes were woven into the drama.  We saw many livestock, and even camels!  After visiting the manger, we proceeded on to a sandy hill with a cross.  The volunteers and staff of Shirley Hills did a wonderful job presenting the gospel in a compelling, but loving way.  The announcements on the screens inside the sanctuary communicated that the Nativity is God's gift to us, and its re-creation was the church's gift to the community-- no donations needed or accepted.

I am so glad I went!  We were even given hot chocolate, cookies, and coupons to local restaurants.  I highly recommend putting this on your list of activities next year.  My last Christmas ritual will be attending my church's Christmas Eve service.  This is always the most meaningful event of the season for me.  It's quiet and reflective. I encourage you to attend Christmas Eve service at your local church.

Now, I did participate in some good ole Santa traditions.  We visited him at Bass Pro Shops in Macon.  My tip: visit on a weeknight, preferably a rainy one.  We were 99% sure our kids would freak upon seeing Santa.  They didn't disappoint.  At least we didn't have a long wait.  Another tip:  The elves aren't the most helpful.  See if Mom or Dad can stand with Santa for the picture.  We forgot that upon the first scream. 

Here are my angels in our own awkward family photos!


Merry Christmas, y'all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Thanks for the comment :)