Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Getting To Know Your 2013-2014 Steering Team!

Service
1.     Full name? Kristen Susan Kennedy
2. Number of children, names, & ages? Do you want more? Two children. Emma Kate (8) and Cooper (2). I’d love to have one more child. Just gotta talk the hubby into it.
3. Where were you born and where do you consider “home”? Born in Gray, Georgia but I consider Warner Robins home since all my family is here now.
4. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? Anesthesiologist
5. What difficult life situation have you overcome and how did you do it? Having a child born with a severe birth defect. It’s a lifelong process for us so we are finding our “new normal” through lots of prayer & support from family and friends.
6.When you die, what is one thing that you want to be remembered for? I hope that people will look to the generations after me (my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren) and see successful, productive, respectable members of society and see that I had a hand in shaping these individuals.
7. Favorite movie? The Wedding Planner
8. Favorite vacation spot? Navarre Beach, FL
9. What is one thing you wish you could change about yourself? I'd change my tendency to worry about EVERYTHING!
10. Most hated household chore? Dusting
11. Favorite Bible verse? Romans 12:12 "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer".
12. Favorite thing about being a mom? Watching my kids experience new things and reliving my childhood experiences through their eyes.
 
 
Discussion Groups
 
1.     Full name? Laura Kathryn Wells Terry
2. Number of children, names, & ages? Do you want more? Afton Henriette-6, Spring Ketcha-5-- would like more (maybe 2 more), but waiting for God's direction
3. Where were you born and where do you consider “home”? Born and raised in Virginia, near Charlottesville. C'ville will always be "home". I went to college there, and met and married my husband there.
4. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? A vet or marine biologist--I'm certain I knew nothing of what the latter one actually did.
5. What difficult life situation have you overcome and how did you do it? In many ways I feel I lived a charmed life--compared to the hardships of so many, God has been so merciful in my life (because he probably knows I couldn't handle too much). I did have a really rough time my first year of college--a combination of insecurity/anxiety, poor preparation, and true depression. I almost dropped out and began binge eating (gained 35lbs.). I think what helped me overcome was the people God put in my life to support me during this time--my future husband and my still best friends. Thankfully this period of my life lasted only about a year.
6. When you die, what is one thing that you want to be remembered for? I hope I would be called kind, honest, and a good mother.
7. Favorite movie? I could watch Notting Hill, The Green Mile, and Newsies again and again.
8. Favorite vacation spot? Boothbay Harbor, Maine (our Honeymoon locale) and Belize (seriously, so beautiful)
9. What is one thing you wish you could change about yourself? I would love to have a day of absolute confidence and zero anxiety, just to see what it feels like
10. Most hated household chore? Must I only pick one?-- dishes tops the list, followed closely by cleaning the bathrooms.
11. Favorite Bible verse? A very significant passage in my life is John 13:1-17. A favorite verse is Psalm 4:8.
12. Favorite thing about being a mom? Mandatory daily snuggles, and watching them grow and learn--they surprise me everyday with new things they can do or new things that they know/understand
 
 
Hospitality
 
1. Full name? Alecia Marie Grady
2. Number of children, names, & ages? Do you want more? Sawyer, 18 months. My husband and I are both from big families but we're only children so we want to start the trend again. We'd love to be blessed with at least a half dozen.
3. Where were you born and where do you consider “home”? Wytheville, VA I still consider that home. I have yet to find a place to settle down that doesn't make me feel like I'm settling.
4. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? Actress. I attended a private acting conservatory in NYC right after high school, but ran out of money quick and came home
5. What difficult life situation have you overcome and how did you do it? I had eating disorders for a few years in high school. I finally let my family know what was going on and I started to work at getting better. Luckily, the only real damage I caused was some temporary hair loss
6. When you die, what is one thing that you want to be remembered for? Creating a hospitable home that doesn't know the meaning of a stranger. A home where everyone is family and memories are bountiful.
7. Favorite movie? Runaway Bride. I've always had a thing for Richard Gere. The Maryland countryside backdrop is gorgeous too. Plus, before I met my husband I had a little runaway bride spirit in me.
8. Favorite vacation spot? Asheville, NC. I got married and honeymooned there. It has a very European vibe to it. Everyone is laid back and not afraid of being themselves.
9. What is one thing you wish you could change about yourself? I wish I had a beautiful voice.
10. Most hated household chore? Emptying out e dish drain when food gets clogged.
11. Favorite Bible verse? OK so I'm cheating with a hymn. How Great Thou Art. Makes me cry every time.
12. Favorite thing about being a mom? Raising children of strength, courage and conviction that can be my footprints on the future

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Thanks for the comment :)