Sunday, November 7, 2010

Let's Talk Turkey

What are your memories of Thanksgiving and how do you celebrate?  I think we all aim for the Norman Rockwell moment, and arrive somewhere closer to the exploding turkey dinner in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. 

For myself, Thanksgiving memories were often made at Holiday Inns and diners along I-95 en route to my grandparents' homes in South Carolina.  Lunch at one home and dinner at the other.  It was hard on our parents, but we loved it.  10 layer chocolate cake at Nanny's and stack cookies at Mamaw's.  Can't beat that.  On Friday, we were off to White's department store for the requisite  "make your list" for the grandmas and aunts.

I made my first (and only thus far) Thanksgiving meal as a newlywed.  Drawing on our oh-so-chic First and Forever William-Sonoma cookbook, I prepared an organic turkey, from-scratch (but dry) cornbread stuffing, creamed spinach, squash casserole, macaroni and cheese, salad and rolls.  Since there can never be just one dessert, so I made pecan and pumpkin pie.  I purchased a new tablecloth and served dinner on our just-out-of-the-box china.  I even used the gravy boat.  The gravy was from a mix. I don't think I'll ever have the stomach to prepare giblet gravy.  We had my parents and my husband's parents and brothers over to eat with us.  It was a big success and I felt like I'd entered the fold of married womanhood.

Some years our extended family has gone out to a Thanksgiving buffet or brought in catered dishes.   This is a nice break, but nothing beats a home cooked feast and limitless leftovers.  This year we will enjoy Thanksgiving in North Georgia at our children's grandparents' home.  Our little girl will get to wear the "Baby's First" bib, we'll try to grab a movie by ourselves, and I'm sure we'll have a delicious meal. 

Here's wishing you a wonderful time of thanks, even if you do have to suffer through turkey a la Griswold served with  catnip garnished lime jello.

Now, it's your turn.  Share your favorite Thanksgiving story, whether silly or sentimental in the comment section.  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Thanks for the comment :)